Tuesday, January 4, 2011

47 years of marital bliss? Probably ain't gonna happen for me

And so here we are on Day 4 of 2011. This happens to be my parents' 47th wedding anniversary. That's just something you don't see everyday. When I look at my parents, I am so grateful that they have each other. Sometimes it is comical watching them relate to each other, but overall it is just touching to see them uplift and support each other through the ups and downs of life.

At some point, I thought that I would live "happily ever after" in this manner with Mr. Right. It became a painful reality that perhaps this may not be so for me. I gotta tell you, approaching middle age with this in mind is unsettling, to say the least. These are the kind of frightening thoughts that can lead to bad decisions. I mean... Decisions that at the time it seem like a good decision to chase away the lonelies and horrid thoughts of growing old with no one to love you but a cat or two or three.

So who talks me out of doing something I will probably regret? Apparently, Ralphie from the movie "A Christmas Story" had a little message for me. Check out this podcast to see what I mean. It is well worth the 45ish minutes. So if you get a chance check it out or bookmark it for later. Momentum Church Podcast: A Christmas Story

So big picture thinking... Odds are that I will not be celebrating my own 47th wedding anniversary (unless I meet someone pretty quickly and we both live to be 100). I may not have Mr. Right and I am vowing to not settle for Mr. Right Now. God has given me something just as good, if not better. My support network is phenomenal. I have the example of my parents. I have my sister her family (of whom I ADORE). I have my MoGroup, I have my girlz (from college). I have my aunts, uncles and cousins. I have my kitties. I have super duper girls from church that help me walk through and sort out crap. I have 583 Facebook Friends. Okay some of those are more like acquaintances, but I think you get my point.

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad!!

don't forget to see my year unfold 1 picture at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment